Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:26:47 -0700
From:      Jason Campbell <jasonc@introrse.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Vinnie Loophole

Regarding adding checks in /etc/security to scan for '.' in PATH statements,
it could be done more simply:

  1. /etc/security needs to check for '.' in PATH in the config
     files in root's home dir.  (but nowhere else)

  2. 'su' should check for '.' in the PATH when the you're becoming root
     and warn if it's there (and maybe even take it out).

Putting more code in exec() to do this sounds like a really bad idea given
how often it's called, and could break things which, for whatever reason,
intend to exec something in the current dir.

Jason.