Date:      Tue, 19 May 2020 08:24:49 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        David Mehler <dave.mehler@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1 on Raspberry Pi 3B+, completely headless?
References:  <CAPORhP4wTqc0xZLatb=K0TozrAYogE7qXQ6Bw5WAynhAzW-QPQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200518184007.GA64715@www.zefox.net> <CAPORhP6gqvp_MSxsO9__C-EvXcEpRfVwYW1HnujFL_TpNXnNfw@mail.gmail.com> <20200518213741.GA65006@www.zefox.net> <CAPORhP70pXC-_o_us4crY3wdfvRxNM1%2BnTiE220Bwf7SaBtkXg@mail.gmail.com> <20200518235138.GB65006@www.zefox.net> <CAPORhP7jetavYhvZ2ZJf0T3p6yGwQHjUC0r9Jm89=%2Bq-A8JHDw@mail.gmail.com>

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 06:04:47AM -0400, David Mehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll look in to a monitor and keyboard, but given where the Pi is that
> could a bit getting one there.

I'd reverse the priorities initially: Make it work where I can see what's
going on, then make it work where I want to use it. A serial console is
essential if you want to do anything even slightly adventurous. A work
bench with an internet connection, second computer and comfy chair is
the way to make progress.

> One thing I thought of is do I have the right image? If it's suppose
> to boot, and at least get an ip and respond to ping, but if it's
> getting stuck in single-user mode then maybe my image is wrong. This
> is the filename of the image I wrote to the sd card for the Pi:
>
> FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-RPI3.img

The image file name looks correct, but plenty more can be wrong.
The microSD card itself must be compatible; most are but not all.
The writing process and adapter must be correct and error free.
I use dd, usually under FreeBSD or Raspbian. Errors in writing
an image can be very quiet, just a mismatch in blocks in vs out.
I've had one USB to microSD adapter fail, so that can happen.
MicroSD cards can fail, sometimes rather silently. Power supplies
can cause all sorts of confusing trouble that looks like something
_other_ than what it is.

Later images are usually better, especially with -RELEASE, a native
image (Raspbian, in this case) is better when other uncertainties
are present.....keep it handy as a sanity check 8-)

Hope this helps some...

bob prohaska