Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:38:42 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changed pci bus probe order from 3.2 to 4.0 -- ideas?

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:19:29 -0600, Fred Clift wrote:

> > i suppose the only place where you use the actual card names
> > is the firewall config and rc.conf -- can't you just make these
> > scripts fetch the ethernet address of the card(s), set a shell
> > variable with the name of the good card, and go ahead with that ?
>
> Yeah I'm about to the point of doing this for lack of other options.
> Thanks for the sample code -- I'm sure it'll come in handy if I can solve
> this any other way.
>
> The best fix would be to find a way to hard-wire which card is which in
> the kernel config (ie fxp0 is always on pci0...) but I dont know if you
> can do that kind of thing with pci devices.

The problem is that when the new-bus code was introduced, the probe order
was changed from a bus-by-bus probe (breadth first?) to a depth-first
probe.

i.e. as soon as another PCI bus is found (e.g. on a bridge chip) it is
probed, rather than deferring the probe of the new bus until the probe of
the current bus has been completed.

I think Doug Rabson had plans to fix the probe order, but it never
happened.

There is no way to hardwire PCI devices, so you'll probably have to just
change which card is referenced in your scripts.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org