Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 19:38:29 +0200
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org (FREEBSD-SECURITY-L), BUGTRAQ@NETSPACE.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panix Attack: synflooding and source routing?

According to Brian Tao:
>     Wouldn't turning off source-routing on your border router
> alleviate most of this problem?  It won't help if you have someone
> synflooding a port from within your network, but at least it would
> prevent outside attacks.

The attack doesn't seem to have source routing in it. Source addresses in
the packets are random that's all.

> Or is this a "one-way" attack (i.e., a return route to host is not
> needed)?

It is.

SYN-flooding cannot really be prevented as far as I know. The attack lies
in the fact that TCP/IP stacks must way for a timeout (2MSL) if there is no
ACK in answer to the SYN,ACK the target sent.

        attacker  -------- SYN -----------> target
        SYN_SENT
                 <-------- SYN, ACK ------  SYN_RCVD

As the connection never completes, these half-open are not logged in any
way. They are also used for port scanning.

> >   For those who are IP hackers, the problem is that we're being flooded
> >   with SYNs from random IP addresses on our smtp ports. We are getting
> >   on average 150 packets per second (50 per host).

The target resources will be fast exhausted by that kind of attack...
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #20: Fri Aug 30 23:00:02 MET DST 1996