Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 18:19:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cern_httpd and passwords

Hi,
we have had a few problems in using the password-related functions
of cern-httpd. We have solved the problem by modifying the calls
to crypt(), but it is not very clear how it works.

We have 950210 snapshot *without* DES (I guess). The problem is,
crypt in the snapshot behaves differently from what the manpage
says: it always return a string longer than 13 chars, with the
format

    $1$_saltxxx$encryptedchars

and this happens even when the original salt is two-chars (as in
the old versions of crypt). I remember somebody (Poul ?) discussed
the subject when password encription was changed, but this hasn't
percolated into the documentation.

Are there problems in reverting crypt to behave as usual when a
two-char salt is specified *and* no DES is present ?
Anyways, could somebody modify the crypt manpage appropriately ?

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522