Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:56:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      FreeBSD Bob <fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        iratus@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah (with common goals)

> >> I still stand by my contention that we need something for the
> >> joe enduser crowd, rather than rely on Penguin Basic Training,
> >> (although that method seems to work, too).

> >What you need is documentation that not only tells you how to configure
> >but also explains what it is your going to have when you get through.

I think this has merit.  Something more that just a common Readme, but
with some steering indications of what the basic system can do, and
what it can do with added ``features'' as Blue is want to say.
Some of that is done in various docs and readmes, but it seems a
little scattered here and there.

> >It would also help quite a bit if there were some information about how
> >and why this configuration was established in the first place.

This is covered in the historical tidbits, but is, perhaps, not as
well brought out to the newbie.  The handbook provides some insights.

> >Following the manuals and book helps you get the job done but after your
> >through, you don't know what you have or in some cases what to do with
> >it.

There are lots of basic books, a fair number of BSD things, plus the
cannonical BSD bibles from Berkeley, all of which are good reading.
Sometimes, the newbie seems to have trouble finding it all or wading
through it from the newbie perspective, since it was written for the
professionals.

> I really don't want to start a flame war but you might consider the
> following since what you seek is there: The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey,
> almost any basic book on Unix as BSD is a well know unix version, the
> FreeBSD handbook which is included with the various distributions (2.*, 3.*
> etc), all of the man pages (though I agree they are a handful just to
> interpret in some cases), if you are headed for guruhood a look at the
> original 4.4BSD series is nice, and a search of Amazon.com will show you
> more then I think just about anybody could remember. As an aside, if you
> don't know what you have after you are done perhaps time with any of the
> aforesaid books should be spent BEFORE you install. Its really all there if
> you just look, though it has been my experiance that "handholding" is
> probably in short supply though IMHO, this isn't that big a deal. Just my
> 2cents worth.  Jeff Phillips

No flames, whatever.  My ol' dusty, motheaten Inet Flak Suit probably would
not even fit, anymore, as the ``wisdom of age'' has rather rotundified me
innards, to put it mildly.  The constructive discussion is what I am after.

The FreeBSD handbook, is probably our cannon from which to start.
Lehey's book is a close second.

Manpages are never a place from which to start.  They are a place from
which to admin and userspeak, in currency.  Something is needed a little
before the manpages.  The manpages are the cannon for the user and the
admin, AFTER the machine is up and running, in real time.

The Berkeley bibles, i.e., the smm/ps1/usd suite are usually written
at a more professional level than Joe enduser has, although the usd
sections (particularly 1) can be helpful.  Many/most Joe endusers will
have a hard time at a deeper level than that, unless they already come
from a more experienced background, compared to the point+click kind.

Still, I get a sense that, to put it all together, and it is a rightly
complex matter for the newbie,  one also needs some kind of a hands on
system to paw with ALONGSIDE the cannon.

For the sake of discussion, what pops to mind would be a rather limited
system with only the basics for getting up a minimal machine, or a
minimal machine with X (even that is probably more complicated than
the newbie needs to start with), and then running through various
scripts and the like to get the real-time feet wet.  The system must
be bulletproof, and come up on anything running dos/windoz, and allow
controlled interactivity without nuking the original OS's (as good bad
or ugly as they may be).  This has to be a load and go type of thing
that even the most geen newbie can get rolling, with minimal effort.

In some respects, it almost becomes a distance education sort of thing,
with remote-hands-on training.  Then, when some minimal expertise is
obtained, let the newbie out on the race track, to go it for real.

In days past, we used to do that kind of thing by 1 on 1 mentoring around
the consoles in a dark room, late at night.  Nowadays, we need to adjust
that approach for Joe enduser out in Timbuktu with only a 9.6K modem to
a slow email-electronic mentor.  Nowadays, the drop-in CD becomes the
quasi-mentor.

Good discussion, and I appreciate all those who contributed to it.
Maybe some good will come of it......

Thanks

Bob