Date:      Tue, 26 May 2015 06:59:52 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any guidance for gnupg-2.0 -> gnupg-2.1 (archived encrypted email)?

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:13 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Last November, I encountered a reason to deviate from that: When
> security/gnupg became gnupg-2.1, I found that gnupg-2.1 was unable to
> decrypt some (well, any, in my experience) archived encrypted email
> messages.

I was bitten badly in November when I blindly upgraded security/gnupg
and found myself in the new, shiny, non-STABLE version 2.1.0.  I can't
remember the details, but too much stuff didn't work.  I went to the
release notes and other places and spent about a day trying to make the
best of it.  I had some success but ended up reverting security/gnupg ->
security/gnupg20 after I discovered the following on the GnuPG home
page.

 - 2.0.27 is the stable version suggested for most users,
 - 2.1.4 is the brand-new modern version with support for ECC and many
   other new features, and
 - 1.4.19 is the classic portable version.

The STABLE 2.0 branch still works for me and the surprise factor is not
as prominent as in 2.1.  I have no idea why the main FreeBSD port was
switched from STABLE to CURRENT and the STABLE version was relegated to
a new version-tagged port.

Sorry if this is off-topic but maybe it helps some folks.

--=20
John Marshall

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--