Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:17:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jin Guojun (ITG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TX Chipset and more than 64M Ram

> >   What kind of problem could I expect from FreeBSD if I run a TX
> > chipset motherboard with 128M RAM ?
>
> Your performance will suck.

Have you really tested or just some impression?

I have AUSU Tx97-E + 64MB SIMM + 64MB SDRam DIMM. Everything works well.
It is faster than just using 64 SIMM when working with 120 processes to
use more than 90MB user memory + 10MB system memory.

> >  This chipset can only cache
> > 64M.  Anything other than performance ?  Is it possible to force
> > FreeBSD to use the low 64M preferentially ?
>
> Take the top 64M out.
>
> Seriously, it's going to cost you less to replace the board with one
> wearing an HX chipset than the time that the TX board will waste you.

HX chipset can cache more, but does not support AMD CPU :-)

	-Jin