Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:08:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

In article <199903231140.LAA28691@excalibur.oceanis.net> you write:
>As the well known Chuck Robey said...
>->
>	Hey... I think I'm dreaming. You'd pay to have this NFS stuff
>	fixed ?!?!!?

If NFS were more important to me, sure.

>       I don't think this fits very well with the spirit
>	of a free OS.

It fits in fine.  The "free" in free software means you're free to
do whatever you want with it.  If it doesn't meet your criteria as-is,
you're free to change it.  If you lack the resources to make the changes
yourself, you're free to hire someone to make them for you.

>       Perhaps I'm wrong, but, if you pay someone (even
>	McKusick) to do this work, you may enter in a new land, where
>	committers would want to be paid to fix up little things.

If you get FreeBSD tweaked into an acceptable state for commercial
applications, FreeBSD jobs will be available, and you can make it your
day job.

If it's unacceptable in those installations, you'll get stuck with
an inferior commercial even if it's a high-availability installation
and OS defects cause it to drop out to the ROM monitor.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

>	is crazy. Perhaps we'll have a 'letter to FreeBSD hobbyists' in
>	some days that woul say :
>
>	"Some poeple spend hard time to work on this really great
>	piece of software. These poeple cannot work for nothing,
>	that's why you must buy FreeBSD. If you do not pay FreeBSD,
>	you just steal hours of hard and expensive work."

In which case, you're free to take the sources and provide a
Really-Free-BSD where financially subsidized contributions are
specifically disallowed.

>	Do we have to add these lines to the FreeBSD licence ?

Nope.