Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:52:01 +0100
From:      David Calinski <neodave@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fatal trap on booting from floppies

Hello FreeBSD hackers,

I hope this is the right place to ask this question:
how to create own set of bootdisks (floppies)?
Any hints, links? Yes, I was googling for it, without good results. :-/

Why I need to create them:
I have a problem installing FreeBSD on an old notebook (HP Omnibook 5700CT,
it's a Pentium166mmx)

This hardware doesn't have a cd-rom, so I use bootdisks (floppies).
But when second standard disk (mfsroot.flp) finishes booting, I got: (this is
from FreeBSD-5.1 bootdisk)

(...)
inab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
pci0: <display, VGA> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
cbb0: <TI1131 PCI-Cardbus Bridge> at device 3.0 on pci0
cardbus0: <Cardbus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0

fault virtual address   = 0xeb175
fault code                  = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc00eaf13
stack pointer             = 0x10:0xc080ea1a
frame pointer            = 0x10:0xc080ea1c
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gram 1
processor eflags       = interrupt enables, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
trap number               = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds (...)

The same happens also with bootdisk-floppies from: FreeBSD-5.0, 4.8, 4.9RC2,
and bunch of older versions as well. :-(
Now, I would like to track it down somehow - compile with more debug things,
compile most recent FreeBSD version (maybe problem was fixed), but I simply
don't know how - how to create own floppy-bootdisk?
(I do have more machines running FreeBSD, so I can create them there).
Or maybe you have other ideas: how to avoid FreeBSD to try using pccard
driver ? (maybe pccard driver is a problem here).

I obviously have tried standard things: turning off power management in bios,
tried different physical floppies, so they are not the problem here...

Ah, maybe it's because of SVGA controller/driver
(Chips & Technologies 65554 SVGA controller).
Anyways, someone with a diffrent Omnibook had the same problem:

And this hardware does work with most recent OpenBSD, but I really would like
to use FreeBSD on it... *sigh*

So what can I do? :-(
Thank you in advance.

-