Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 1995 08:46:10 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

Thus spoke Raju Daryanani:

: No, my employer at least has almost completely stopped making non-PCI
: machines.  The entry level system is now a 486DX2/66 with PCI bus and
: 4MB RAM.  Of course I wouldn't buy a machine like that, but we have
: lots of customers who still only want to run DOS and buy it with 4MB.
: I doubt the other PC vendors will be far behind.

I knew there would be some machines like this, but I guess my
suggestion, if it turns out to be workable, would cover enough of the
cases to be worth while, and would be easy to implement (in terms of
brain power).  However, it looks like there may be other solutions to
this problem, so I'm not going to push it...

Warner