Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:24:44 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mike Starr <starrtennis@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Introduction

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:51:27 -0700, Mike Starr wrote:
> I have a hacked-up laptop with FreeBSD installed but never saw a
> manual either in PDF or docstring. How should I go about getting
> re-started?

FreeBSD comes with manual pages and a handbook locally
installed. The cocumentation can be viewed in many
formats (typically as formatted text, but also as PDF
files or web pages) - the toolchain to do so is part
of FreeBSD as well.

Here are a few examples for the online  resources:

https://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

The locally installed documentation can be accessed
using the well-known methods "man <section> <topic>"
and "apropos <topic>". The handbook is present in
/usr/doc/<language>/.

Additional documentation is present in /usr/share/doc
and /usr/local/share/doc.

>  It's a dual boot.

FreeBSD doesn't require this for documentation. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany