Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 12:18:37 -0700
From:      Joe Read <joer@triax.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIS

Hello Everyone!

Quick question.  I've just made a series of scripts that will
allow employees to add users to a single FreeBSD box that
we use for authentication.  The script modifies the password
file, runs pwd_mkdb, then puts relevant information into a
customer notes file.  Now I need to replicate this information
accross to a few other machines, i.e., web/ftp server, mail
server, etc.  Will NIS allow me to do this, namely, does
it have a transparent authentication layer over passwd that
programs like ftpd, apache, (merit) radiusd will recognize
for retrieving password, shell, and home directory information?

If this is the case, does anyone have a quick-and-easy setup
guide for installing/configuring/adminning NIS?  How about
at least an ftp site where I can grab the latest version
(or is it in ports?)

Thanks,

Joe Read