Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:31:18 -0500
From:      dlr@asylum.org (dlr)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 and Diamond Speedstar Pro

Sorry to post this here. I posted it to the XFree86 Web site and to their
newsgroup without response. The solution I have found is to just use a
different video card, but if anyone else has seen this behavior I would
be intersted in discussing it:

486-66 32meg VLB with diamond speedstar pro video card (using cirrus
logic chip) and 2 meg ram on the card. Card works nicely with win3.1 and
win95. I'm running FreeBSD2.1R and XFree that came with it on the CDrom.

Xwindows will fire up and I can use it, but when I exit Xwindows it
freezes the console requiring either hitting the reset button, or logging
in remotely for a remote reboot or halt.

^alt backspace does the same thing. ^alt F1 F2 or F3 does the same thing.
A few seconds after the machine locks the power saving light comes on for
the monitor (sony 15fs which i have had working on other freebsd Xwindows
systems). I've tried XF86_SVGA and XF86_16VGA and the accelerated server.
all with the same behavior. I plugged in a generic SVGA card yesterday
and fired it right up and exited cleanly.

I've tried the nolinear and noaccell options in XF86Config.

Anyone want to buy a diamond speedstar pro VLB card with 2 meg? ;)

I tried to contact diamond but they seem to have vanished off the earth
(or at least I can't find them)

thanks,

dave racette