Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:51:12 +0200
From:      k.petropoulos@freemail.gr
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem regarding DHCP and netgraph ether bridge

Hello!

I am trying to test the commands mentioned in
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200406/netgraph.html
and it seems that there is no way at all to make
the virtual interface (ngeth0) to get an IP address through
DHCP (server running on a win98 box at 192.168.0.1). All the
DHCPOFFERS seem to be ignored, despite there is no firewall
or any other "bad" configuration issue (the DHCPOFFERS get
sent from the DHCP server; confirmed via tcpdump). The "actual"
network i/f (ep0) has no problem acquiring an IP address from
the DHCP server as well.

The funny thing is that if I "hardcode" an IP address to the
ngeth0 (i.e. 192.168.0.5) and add the default route accordingly,
I have perfect connectivity between the two machines (and from/to
the Internet).

Any ideas why the dhclient ignores the DHCPOFFERS when run for
the ngeth0 i/f while it accepts them when run for the ep0 i/f?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. : Running 5.4-PRERELEASE #2 but I have experienced the same
problem in previous 5-x snapshots.