Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 18:33:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> Actually, for the Z51 that assertion is false.  It emulates an HP 500C
> quite nicely.

Wow, how sure are you about this? When I was at lexmark I worked on the
Z51. I also know a little about the HP data format, and I think that the
odds of them being compatible is virtually zero.

The z-series printers are host-based printers. Than means that the
computer must format the data for the printer. Since HP printheads are
different than lexmark printheads, I would expect the output (especially
when data is shingled) to be garbled.

Jim

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org