Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:56:42 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        jmkelly@ieee.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new install, trying to get Xircom PC card to work

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:12:07 -0800
> From: John Kelly <jkelly@uclink.berkeley.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I've got FreeBSD 4.4-release running on a Dell Latitude laptop with a
> Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) PC card
> in it, and I can't figure out how to get the card to wake up. Card
> services seems to be running okay, it sees that a card has been
> inserted, but the system comes up with no Ethernet device.

Sorry, but CardBus devices are not supported in FreeBSD V4 at this
time. They should be supported under V5 when it comes out hopefully
later this year.

> I found the source for the right driver, xe, but when I try to compile
> xe.c I get an error: "if_xe.c:138: card_if.h: No such file or
> directory."

First, you don't need to compile the separately. It should compile
automatically when you build the kernel.  If you got this message when
trying to build the kernel, it's because you don't have device card in
your configuration. You need both card and pcic for any PCCARD to be
compiled into the kernel. (See the comments in /sys/i386/conf/LINT.)

> Beyond that, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to integrate the xe
> driver with the kernel even if I could manage to compile it. I've tried
> RTFMing, but haven't seemed to find the right page yet. All help will be
> appreciated.

It's done, as I said above, when you make your kernel. See the
handbook section on kernel building if you don't know how to do this.

Unfortunately this is not much help since the CardBus Xircom cards are
not supported under V4.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)