Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:31:27 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VirtualBox, if_bridge and bridged networking

Hey,

I'm a bit stumped getting a (FreeBSD guest) VM to use bridged networking =
to work.  The same VM works fine on a Mac OS X and an Ubuntu host, so =
I'm certain it's not the VMs setting.

I'm running
# pkg info -g virtualbox*
virtualbox-ose-4.2.6           A general-purpose full virtualizer for =
x86 hardware
virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.2.6_4    VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD
on FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE r249476 amd64.

My LAN gets to the host via vlan1 (attached to re0); which in turn is =
bridged via bridge0.  IP configuration is on bridge0.

It appears that frames sent from the guest make it to the host and =
machines connected to the LAN, but no replies appear to be getting back =
to the guest.  I've tried bridging the guest to bridge0 as well as =
vlan1.

If I configure the guest's network manually, I can see arp requests =
arriving on the host and the LAN; inside the guest I can't see any =
frames arriving.  If I add arp entries manually on the guest, I can see =
pings going out, but the replies never make it back.

I am running pf, but I don't see any rejected packets of pflog0 that =
correlate in any way.

Is there a magic configuration bit that I'm missing?  Or is there some =
incompatibility between if_bridge and ng_ether?

Thanks,
Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811