Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:44:47 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_ex.c driver and multicast

Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Wes Peters:
> > It depends on the level of support the chipset has for multicast.
>
> Well, it works under NT with IPv6 so there must be some kind of support. It
> is only that the driver doesn't support it.

Oh yes, you can do it, but it's not easy.  I've worked on support for
multicast on intel 586 and 596 chips on the VxWorks realtime system,
but it's ugly.  IIRC, the chip treats multicast packets like broadcast
and hands all the packets to the driver to figure out, because it doesn't
have enough ethernet multicast registration slots on the chip to do
auto-filtering.

This is being filtered through 3 or 4-year old memories, so take it with
a grain of salt.  ;^)

> > I haven't looked at the 3c9xx series, but hope they're a bit better
> > than Intel.
>
> They seem to work w/o problem with the nice xl driver.

Much better, isn't it?  Now if I could just get my blasted 3c905*B* to
work as well as the 905s.  Sigh.