Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 12:02:05 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I did it!! Success! Yes!!

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 10:42:41PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> I managed to log onto my Win95 box (running an FTP server program) from
> FreeBSD, transfer some files, etc (via ethernet).  Now, I need to get it
> working the other way around.  FreeBSD still doesn't like something about
> Win95's method of trying to FTP to it.  I've tried multiple FTP clients on
> WIn95; none of them work.  I suspect something's set up wrong on FreeBSD as
> far as the ftp daemon goes.  Anyone have any ideas?

Yep. Depends on the problem you're seeing though.

First, what happens if you ftp to the FreeBSD machine using the CLI Win95
FTP client?

In Windows start a DOS box, and then type

    C:\> ftp name.of.freebsd.box

That should immediately connect to the FreeBSD box and prompt for a username
and password. After that it should let you in and you can FTP as normal.

If that works then there's something wrong with your Windows clients. Is
it possible that they're trying to do anonymous FTP? As I recall, FreeBSD
isn't set up to allow that by default.

If running FTP from the DOS box doesn't work, can you telnet to the FreeBSD
machine? If you can telnet to it but can't FTP to it then it looks as
though the FreeBSD box isn't set up to handle FTP. Check /etc/inetd.conf
for a line that looks like

    ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l

(it should be the first non-comment line in that file). If that line doesn't
exist or has been commented out (and you're not running an ftp daemon full
time) then you need to add it to have FTP started for incoming requests.

If you can't telnet to the FreeBSD machine either then there's some other
problem.

FWIW, if it looks the telnet (or FTP) is just hanging, leave it for a few
minutes. It might be you have nameserver problems -- the name service
routines will wait 2 minutes for an answer before continuing. If there's
a 2 minute pause and things then start working that's a sure sign of name
service problems (which can also be diagnosed and fixed).

You are in a maze of twisty signature files all the same.
--
You are in a maze of twisty signature files all alike.