Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 07:23:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
To:        Dave Chapeskie <freebsd@ddm.wox.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kern Secure Level

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Dave Chapeskie wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 02:36:41AM -0400, Jeff Palmer wrote:
> > A lot of newbie  (please,  no flames if this includes anyone reading this
> > list)   a lot of newbie admins will read about securelevels,   and make
> > the entire /bin /sbin and other directories immutable.   This is a BAD
> > THING!
>
> Bzzzt!  Thanks for playing!
>
> You have it backwards.  There is no security (other than from typos) in
> making files in /sbin immutable if /sbin itself is not immutable.

Bzzzt?  thanks for playing?   didn't reaize I was playing.

And pardon me,  but I thought   "and make the entire /bin and /sbin
directory..."   meant the directory as well as the files?  (Hint:  the key
operative word here is "entire")

Pardon me,   but I think it'd be better for everyone involved if you
didn't try to make this into a gameshow.   Instead of saying exactly what
I said,  try reading the post?

Just an idea..

Jeff Palmer
scorpio@drkshdw.org