Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:59:40 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   P-II hangs [was Re: de0 errors]

On Oct 25,  6:49pm, Alexander Litvin wrote:
} Subject: Re: de0 errors
} I experience the same.
}
} No problem it would be, but with that card the box also seems
} to lockup after a while :( It is our proxy server, quite busy
} (about 30000 requests per hour), and I don't have opportunity
} to investigate it in details, but after installation of DE it
} locked up two times during one hour, so I decided to put back
} PCI ed.
}
} All that on 2.2.5, 266MHz P-II, Intel LX chipset.

Funny you should mention the lockup problem.  I've got 2.1-stable
running on a Dell 266MHz P-II that I can get to lock up whenever I want
by taring a 60MB directory tree into an mfs filesystem mounted on
/tmp.  It doesn't lock up the first time I do this, but waits until I
remove the file and run tar the second time.  It's not anywhere close
to running out of swap.  Also the machine runs "make world" using mfs
just fine.  If I run top in another window, top continues to run even
after tar hangs, but then top will also freeze if I ^C tar.  The window
running tar still responds to ^T, and I can still ping the machine.  I
can't get the machine to reboot and the only escape is to hit the reset
button.  The PCI hardware consists of an Adaptec 2940UW and an Intel
Etherexpress PRO.  I have not been able to reproduce this problem on
any of the P-133's that are running the same OS release.