Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:50:22 +0000
From:      James Powell <james4591@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CMI8788 audio card/chip support

kldload snd_driver only detected my USB Headset and loaded theusb audio dri=
ver. It did not detect my CMI8788 (ASUS Xonar DX PCIe)and snd_cmi does not =
support it.

cat /dev/sndstat generated this:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)Installed devices:pcm0=
: <USB audio> (play/rec) default
Which is my Logitech USB headset=2C not my PCIe sound card.
The boot generated a message stating "Unsupported Sound Carddetected. Pleas=
e contact lists@support.freebsd.org with soundcard make and model."

> Date: Mon=2C 27 Aug 2012 11:24:30 +0100
> From: jamie@kode5.net
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: CMI8788 audio card/chip support
>=20
> [ Polytropon wrote on Mon 27.Aug'12 at  4:10:57 +0200 ]
>=20
> > On Mon=2C 27 Aug 2012 02:01:34 +0000=2C James Powell wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Are any plans being made to start support for these audio cards?
> > > Currently I'm using one in a system I would like to use with
> > > FreeBSD but it has no support through the kernel and driver
> > > support from OSSv4 lands me with a system that either freezes
> > > or won't boot properly.
> >=20
> > Interesting. I've been using a CMI-based sound card with
> > FreeBSD 4=2C 5 and 7 already. See "man snd_cmi":
> >=20
> > HARDWARE
> >      The snd_cmi driver supports the following sound cards:
> >=20
> >      =B7   CMedia CMI8338A
> >      =B7   CMedia CMI8338B
> >      =B7   CMedia CMI8738
> >      =B7   CMedia CMI8738B
> >=20
> > It lists older CMI8788 as supported devices. Doesn't it
> > provide sufficient compatibility?
>=20
> Have you tried loading the generic driver to see if your audio card is pi=
cked up:
>=20
> 	# kldload snd_driver
>=20
> then try=20
>=20
> 	# cat /dev/sndstat
>=20
> which will show more info about it? That's what's recommended in the hand=
book.

 		 	   		  =