Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2006 09:03:45 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: Hi: Porting Cramfs on FreeBSD

On 10/03/06 07:38, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:
>> No, only inode+direntries need to fit into memory.  So an FS with
>> 1million inodes might take .5MB of memory (estimate).
>
> How are you going to do that?  Whenever you want to read a file,
> you'll have to start decompressing the entire tarball from the
> beginning, since it's a single gzip stream.  You can't just seek to an
> arbitrary position in the stream and start decompressing there.
>
> DES

First, that .5MB estimate was off by quite a bit - I'm not sure what I
was calculating when I did that, but I know I was tired.  :)

Anyway, I'm not currently supporting compressed archives, but obviously
they would be very useful and are on my roadmap.  Tim Kientzle gave me
some ideas, and I'll ping him again when I get to that point.'

Eric