Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:05:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Wayne Scott <wscott@ichips.intel.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations...

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Wayne Scott wrote:

> Be careful.
>
> Intel told you nothing.  I told you what my machine was able to get.
> I have never run your benchmarks on a Natoma system.
>
> My numbers showed a 70+ MB/s using REP MOVs on an Orion motherboard
> with 8 SIMMs.

The server version of orion will interleave 4 banks of memory, and
benchmarks in the same ballpark as a good 430HX chipset with a single bank
of EDO RAM.  (for memory speed only).  It should have a strong advantage,
but doesn't show it.

It's the Natoma, and Orion with fewer banks that are in question.  Why do
the P6 chipsets have lower memory throughput when on equal footing with a
good P5 chipset?