Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:30:09 +0530
From:      "Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@gmail.com>
To:        Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project in FreeBSD.

On 9/7/05, Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a final year CS student and wish to do a project in the
> FBSD kernel or networking domains.
> I am a part of a project group of four and we have the project as a part
> of syllabus for the final year.
>=20
> Ideas we could think of were :
>=20
> 1) Dynamically Configurable IO schedulers and scheduling policy.
> - similar to the project mentioned on the SOC page for FBSD.
> 2) Creating a program which would save the state of the kernel at
> some instant.Then if the kernel panics,the saved state will be restored.
> Especially useful for kernel level development which can cause frequent
> panics.

 Its difficult or impossible to save the state of the kernel and restore th=
e=20
shadow copy. Its probably easier to save the state of a user program instea=
d=20
and restore it should the process dump core. Q to you:- what do you plan to=
=20
do when saved copy of kernel contains information of a process that exited=
=20
after copy was saved but before the kernel panic'ed required to be restored=
?

  regards
-kamal