Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:22:12 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        Kim Shrier <kim@createtech.com>, FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: chipsets vs memory support

Kim Shrier wrote:

> Is there a concise summary of the different chipsets (lx, tx, hx, etc.)
> and how much memory they support without me having to dig it out
> of some carefully hidden hardware specs?

Yea, checkout http://developer.intel.com/design/pcisets/desktop.htm

AFAIK:
All the chipsets support >=256MB memory.
The L2 cache can address all 256MB on a HX chipset, but only 64MB on VX,
TX, and FX, ie. a ~10% hit in memory performance is more mem than 64MB on a
non-HX.

Of course it's best to go with Pentium Pro/Pentium II ie. 440FX/440LX.
These address upto 512MB/1GB mem. With >256MB cacheable.

Something like that. Read the docs.

Cheers,
    Dan