Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 06:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Geoffrey Robinson <geoff@click2net.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restoring a system

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:

> >         Speaking about restoring a system, what is the easiest way of
> > moving everything from one machine to another?
>
> I think that generally doing comprehensive backups are harder than you
> would first think. From what I've read dump is probably the best for
> backing up a system but other things that may work are taring a file
> system over NFS or using a removable hard drive.

	Probably NFS might work.  The tar problem could be that the system
needs to have the space to be able to compress even the user directories.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]