Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 18:49:45 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?

On 04.06.12 18:04, xenophon\+freebsd wrote:
> [...]

Again, what does your e-mail or calendaring service have to do with
wiping your device clean?? Wiping the device is task for your device
management platform, which does not belong to the e-mail or calendaring
platform. If you connect your desktop to Exchange, is it supposed to be
wiped too? What if the  Exchange account is just one of the many e-mail
accounts you use, as typically is the case?

> Even if you're just a SOHO or SMB, you should want to be able to locate
> or remotely wipe a device that's stolen, if only to ensure that someone
> doesn't have access to potentially sensitive personal information.  Oh
> and by the way, not only do the Windows phones feature this, but so do
> the iPhones and the Android handsets - so this isn't just Microsoft.

I understand you don't like it, but apparently Apple got this right.
They have device management tool that is in no way ties to your e-mail
or calendaring server. Not only Apple, but any sane vendor too.

It is not excuse that because some (censored) at Microsoft has designed
things this way, there are no other proper ways.

>> In this regard I rather prefer the way Apple handles things.
>> Shiny wrapper interface to pretty much generic technology. No
>> reinvention of the wheel and experiments to see if it can be made
>> square.
> You can't damn Microsoft for being too proprietary in one paragraph and
> then praise Apple for its openness in the next.  Does not compute.

I don't care how proprietary an proprietary thing is. If it is correctly
implemented, it is ok, if it is not correctly implemented, it is not ok.
Microsoft's "wipe trough Exchange" is weird, to put it mildly.
Apple too had a track record of doing many proprietary things, but in
recent years their offerings are, as I mentioned earlier, pretty much
generic standard and widespread protocols with a lot of sugar coating.

Daniel