Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:42:44 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: bsdlabel geometry params

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 07:53:56 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> According the the handbook, one should do the following to set up a new disk:
>
> 1 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1k count=1
> 2 fdisk -BI da1 #Initialize your new disk
> 3 bsdlabel -B -w da1s1 auto #Label it.
> 4 bsdlabel -e da1s1 # Edit the bsdlabel just created and add any partitions.
> 5 mkdir -p /1
> 6 newfs /dev/da1s1e # Repeat this for every partition you created.
> 7 mount /dev/da1s1e /1 # Mount the partition(s)
> 8 vi /etc/fstab # Add the appropriate entry/entries to your /etc/fstab.
>
> In step #4, bsdlabel gives you a label with zeros for fsize, bsize, bps/cpg
> Is it necessary to fill these in, or is there a way to get some
> reasonable defaults?
> "newfs -N" will give you numbers for bsize and fsize, but what about bps/cpg?
>
> What does the install process do for this step?  I don't remember
> ever having to deal with it.

Maybe it's bit overcomplicated. I assume as you're creating
/dev/da1s1e here (non-boot volume on 1st slice, which would
be /dev/da1s1a instead), so basically you're creating a kind
of "data disk" (one full disk, not bootable).

You can have that much easier:

	# newfs /dev/da1

Of course you can add options to newfs if needed, and also
apply tunefs afterwards. But dealing with slices (which are
"DOS primary partitions") is not needed if what you're creating
will be a "data disk" as described.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany