Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:44:37 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Mark J Tomko <mtomko@prime.cs.ohiou.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel config at boot time

--==_Exmh_-1659486753P

If memory serves me right, Mark J Tomko wrote:
> At the suggestion of people on the list, I compiled the generic kernel
> with little or no modification- which means there are still lots of
> devices in the kernel that I don't have.  When I had compiled out
> devices previously, I got errors when the kernel loaded this stuff:
> config> di ppc0
> config> di zp0
> config> di ze0

[snip]

> config> q
>
> After each of those messages, there would be a warning saying "device not
> present" or something similar.  So before I start removing devices from
> this kernel, how do I edit the config so it doesn't try to load devices
> that aren't in the kernel or my system?

The devices in the "di" commands above are probably devices that you
disabled in the visual configuration editor.  When you recompiled the
kernel not to include them, the boot loader complained because it
couldn't disable a device that wasn't even in the (custom) kernel to
begin with.

An easy way to get around these warnings is to go ahead and make up your
custom kernel, then edit /boot/kernel.conf and remove all of the "di"
lines.  Then, next time you reboot, use the visual configuration editor
and disable any devices that still have drivers present in the kernel,
but that you don't want probed for some reason.

The warnings aren't fatal, just a tad annoying.

Good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1659486753P

--==_Exmh_-1659486753P--