Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 11:37:45 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

>>>>> "ms" == "Michael Smith" >>>>

jk> The issue really is how much performance you are getting for your rupee.
jk> The last time I checked here, a 1-disk SCSI sub-system cost around twice as
jk> much as an equivalent IDE 1-disk sub-system.

ms> This doesn't hold for larger disk capacities.  How much would you pay for a
ms> 7200rpm 4GB IDE disk?

Yes, you have a point there :-).

You know, it would be nice if we had a "Buying Hardware for FreeBSD" section
in the handbook in which many of the points that keep coming up can be
written out for new folks.

EG:-	Experiences with motherboards, graphics chipsets, cards controllers,
	disks.  Beware the:
		frumious RZ1000.
		cyrix write back caching,
		no caching > 64MB in some mother boards
		motherboards w/o cache consistency support
		the vlb master slot problem
		Mach64 / sio3 port clashes
	et al.
	Advice to people setting up news servers, gateways, or personal play
	machines.  Discussions of tradeoffs; limits run into:
		Eg: the MEMSIZE option to the kernel
		what kind of configurations are good for 10/100/1000 users
		when SCSI is cost effective and when IDE is good enough
	Tuning the OS maybe;
		setting up partitions for netnews (inodes mix)
		better NFS performance thru any magic

Is anyone doing this kind of compilation already?

Koshy