Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 08:42:41 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

> NetBSD (-current, at least) does not have perl in the base.  OpenBSD
> has 5.6.<something>.

*NOD*

> Perhaps FreeBSD could benefit from following NetBSD, and use awk or
> whatever to replace the perl stuff for kernel build and wherever else.

We've already sorted that out for the kernel build. I'm going to see
how well miniperl works for the userland perl scripts.

> People who actually want perl could then install a miniperl package
> and as many modules as they need or like, up to and including the very
> latest full-bloat^H^Hwn version, if desired.

I reckon we'll keep miniperl for a while.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn
#text/plain; name=cv.doc [Mark Murray CV Plain Text] cv.doc
#application/octet-stream; name=cv.pdf [Mark Murray CV PDF] cv.pdf