Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:39:57 +0100
From:      "Claus Guttesen" <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs on FreeBSD

> > > Probably a bit premature but has anyone used zfs on FreeBSD "without
> > > problems". The reason I ask is that I have installed Solaris 10 on an
> > > intel-box, but adding additional programs is *not* as easy as
> > > 'portinstall postfix' etc. on FreeBSD. So rather than doing sensible
> > > work I feel like an idiot instead.
> >
> > I know that this answer is quite OT on this list, but there are two
> > software repositories for Solaris. One has already been mentioned in
> > another answer, it is http://www.sunfreeware.com
> >
> > The other one is http://www.blastwave.org
> > There is a nice script called "pkg-add" available, that is similar to
> > apt-get.
>
> Wouldn't pkgsrc be a better system to use, for someone coming from
> FreeBSD?

I have gotten ImageMagick, ruby, subversion, GNU coreutils, rsync and
other utilities from sunfreeware.com.

When I looked at Solaris 6-8 months ago (zfs was the reason)
ImageMagick was at 6.0 as a solaris-package and I needed 6.2. So I
tried pkgsrc which I thought would be easier do use as
package-management, but installing packages was error-prone and I had
to use Sun's studio compiler for one package and gcc for another. Ruby
was impossible to compile both from source and pkgsrc.
Sunfreeware.com's ruby was 1.82 and I needed 1.84.

Trying to upgrade postgresql from the Sun-supplied 8.1.6 to 8.2.3 from
source takes some time, the package has to be removed etc., there is
not yet a package present for 8.2.3. And in the end postgresql failed
to start because libreadline.so.5 couldn't be found. So I updated
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and changed shell from bash to zsh and edited
/etc/profile and $HOME/.profile and .zshrc to get pg_ctl to work but
did not succeed. The libreadline package *is* installed and the file
is present as well.

And that's when I'm once again is convinced that the
FreeBSD-ports-collection is one of the best package-repositories
around and hence was curious whether some people did actually use zfs
on FreeBSD so I could get the best from both worlds :-)

regards
Claus