Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:51:38 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Gail Pickett <gmpicket@icx.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, m l mack <mlmack@speakeasy.org>
Subject:   Re: newbies

Doug Young wrote:
> When I manage to figure unix stuff out (not only FreeBSD .... SCO & Solaris
> are much the same) its amazing how simple most of it really is ..... its
> only the
> typically martian documentation that makes concepts difficult to grasp

Interesting little tidbit I ran across yesterday. As many of you all are
away, Richard Stallman is very concerned with GNU documentation, and is
willing to pay out hard fought FSF cash to those who would write
documentation. It therefore came as a surprise to me while perusing the
gcc man page the following words (paraphrased) "It is hard work
maintaining this documentation. We prefer you to use the info pages. If
we get too many complaints about this man page we will discontinue it
alltogether."

David