Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 97 15:17:35 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        Tor.Egge@idt.ntnu.no, phk@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netboot and kernel bootp

> Hi,
>
> I am at a good point in cleaning up the netboot/kernel bootp code
> so that booting can be done without using TFTP (I have this already
> running). This makes configurations easier since you don't have to
> mess up with tftp, and also the netboot code is smaller since it
> needs not to implement TFTP. I just need a bit of advice on the
> overall design.

What are you doing, if not tftp?

Related, sorta:

I built a prototype "xkernel" type xterminal configuration for FreeBSD
that boots off of a floppy and NFS mounts a minimal amount of stuff off
of a file server.  It's a little ugly but works fine.

I avoided the whole TFTP thing too, mainly out of necessity, since I did
not see a way to make a de-based netboot without lots of work.

... Joe