Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Engelhart <johne@zang.com>
To:        Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious File System problems (4.6-Release)

I've changed out both the CPU and the Memory at this point and it's run
flawless for.. hmm, 12 hours.  Much better than before.  It looks like
this was just marginal hardware.

I HATE marginal hardware.  Sorry for wasting everyones time.

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Peter Elsner wrote:

> We had a similar problem with a bad motherboard...  Only problem is it kept
> trashing the hard drives.
> We went through 4 new hard drives within 3 months total.  With each hard
> drive replacement, we also
> replaced some other component, first was the memory, then the CPU, and
> finally before putting the 5th drive in place,
> I had changed out the motherboard, and the system has been up for 6 months now.
>

> At 03:42 PM 7/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:

> > > Guessing (obviously): power supply?
> >
> >Good suggestion.  I've been through four, however.  All with the same
> >problem.  The original 2460 was kinda particular about it's power
> >supplies, the 2466 seems less so as it's got the P4 extra power supply
> >connector to help with the dual proc power needs.  No special voltage
> >requirements are specificed for the 2466.
> >
> >I'm wondering if it's not the CPU.  If it were the RAM, I'd figure that
> >ECC would trip up before it allowed for that kind of corruption.  *sigh*.

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

> Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
> Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
> 1835 S. Carrier Parkway
> Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
> (972) 263-2080 - Voice
> (972) 263-2082 - Fax
> (972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
> (425) 988-8061 - eFax
>
> Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
> System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
> If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
> pretend you don't know me.
>
> Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.

                                                            ________
|  johne@zang.com                                              /  /   (tm)|
|   -CEO, PreDawn Society. (A wholly owned subsidiary of      /  /        |
|     Zang(tm) Industries Incorporated).                     /  /\ |\ |/~ |
|   -Vice President in charge of Information Systems, Zang. /  /--\| \|\/~|