Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 02:51:18 GMT
From:      Steve Ames <steve@cioeserv.cioe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie XFree86 install question

I run a freebsd-usually-current system. Recently I thought I'd give X a shot
and went into /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 and did a 'make install'. Everything
proceded well and installed properly (ie without error).

The docs mumbled something about adding a call to /usr/X11R6/bin/xfs and
/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm. So I build an X.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d so that they
get called at boot up time. All is well so far.

My big question comes in... what next? Nothing amazing seems to happen.
Screen flickers briefly when xdm is called.

How do I get the windowing environment? I know lots of people have it
running and have the sneaky suspicion I'm missing something silly.

All advice appreciated (and needed :).

					-Steve