Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:55:23 -0600
From:      "Woolworth,Derrick" <DWOOLWORTH@CERNER.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Open Files

Hello all,

I am having difficulty with one system - FreeBSD 4.8

After a couple of days, the system continually reports that there are too
many files open.  At that time I cannot ssh into the system or ftp, etc.
obviously, the kern.maxfiles is too low.

However, I have continually increased the number of max files - actually
both:

kern.maxfiles = 65535
kern.maxfilesperproc = 65535

The system is running 141 processes on average, which isn't terrible in my
opinion.  Most of these are Apache 1.3.27, MySQL 4.1.0-alpha, Courier mail
system, and a couple of applications my firm has written ourselves.

The question is really, is there a way to examine how many files are open on
a per process basis?  I know we can monitor the number of open files with
pstat -T, but this doesn't help us troubleshoot which application is
responsible for this large number of open files.

The processes that we are building are daemons that are pre-forked - none
seem to be crashing, and we've checked the open/close calls as closely as
possible.

Also, does anyone know of a bug in MySQL or mod_php4 (4.3.4.r1) or Courier
0.43.0 that would cause files to be opened and not closed?

Thanks,

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any included attachments
are from Cerner Corporation and are intended
only for the addressee. The information
contained in this message is confidential and
may constitute inside or non-public information
under international, federal, or state
securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of such
information is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the
sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you
may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas
City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.