Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:33:18 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Ios Phere <iosphere@sonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 Modems

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:53:57 -0700
Ios Phere <iosphere@sonic.net> wrote:

> I am looking for an internal modem to use with my FreeBSD 4.6 install, > my current Rockwell Chipset modem appears not to respond to PPP.
>
> Was woundering if anyone could recommend known working internal (56k)
> modems that you like?

I use a USR Robotics Performance Pro modem. I'm satisfied with it, but it's port assignment (the equivalent of COM5; /dev/cuaa4) is kind of odd, though BSD detects it during setup and uses PPP with it with no fuss. It also lives on IRQ 9 here; that can cause conflicts, at least here where I'm trying to resolve a conflict between it and the second built-in USB hub on my computer. Other than that it's a great modem.

If you have the deskspace and a little extra cash I'd reccomend an external modem - they are much less likely to cause a motherboard to fry in the event of a power surge and can be used on many architectures as well as being handier to provide instant dial-up internet connectivity on another computer when needed.