Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:50:18 +0300
From:      Dmitry Chagin <dchagin@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible issue with linux xattr support?
References:  <smfbmu35sxh2f3hu5nrpdwb355trlucd2bbp4ag5ke7v3zf3il@s3ua2x4i3nzj> <ZO4En1UJqcr4GGiw@heemeyer.club> <uvavvxn7vgjhf5fswoxcawuolvviq2idedxyt4fe6vtjlewsex@aqssespkdh4e> <ZO409dM4Ws7x_yuM@heemeyer.club> <g5lcvxsnjppbfchdtiufwxcbx7au2dbv2wkxwf5pqp66mo547b@vouujjivkgox> <ZO8EfRnfbF4ixn_L@heemeyer.club> <wp767un2xqnfmmox7uxrl3arrr3mzhccze7okk6zcmc4qnr2xj@kgjyjpezyfy6> <ZO8KaKBwliVeGdVG@heemeyer.club> <l5vgnwjddobhl5h2vceafhdo5uyqznaih7se7rk7bilwzqjpax@5ucptcralggq> <h4do44nsxbwak3r3varyktuixzuqmzl2fkeduiyi2ju45eanba@4umnrmyrpa3d>

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 12:33:23PM +0200, Felix Palmen wrote:
> * Felix Palmen <zirias@freebsd.org> [20230830 12:01]:
> > Unfortunately, install from GNU coreutils is now unable to install
> > anything again. I tried both as 'nobody' and as 'root', it doesn't make
> > a difference:
> > [...]
> > I assume the fsetxattr call needs some adjustment of error codes as well
> > to make GNU tools play nice.
>
> On a second thought, shouldn't it be two separate patches in the end?
>
> * Some adjustment of the error codes seems to be needed to correctly
>   mimick Linux, so GNU tools et al don't misinterpret some error as
>   being "fatal"
>
> * Optionally allowing access to the system namespace from within a jail
>   is also needed for some use cases (as shown by HBSD having a patch),
>   but is in fact unrelated to the issue with Linux *xattr calls
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong here ;)

sure, xattr.patch includes 5 commits