Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:18:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
Cc:        Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>, "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card setup: ESS Maestro-2E on fujitsu lifebook e-seris

> Out of the ether, Edward Wolpert spewed forth the following bitstream:

> > > http://www.opensound.com/freebsd.html
> >
> > Checked it out... opensound? They shouldn't call it open...   charging
> > money for 'open' software?

> Has anyone gotten the OpenSound driver to *work*?  I've tried and with
> simple (short) .wav files, it seems to work relatively well, but attempting
> an MP3 playback or even a long .wav causes random skipping, garble, and
> general uselessness.

	Yes, I own a license.  It seems to run mp3's fine with mpg123
	on my Dell Inspiron 7500 with a ESS Maestro-2E.  It does have
	problems doing any kind of sound from the linux emulation system.
	If I run vmware with sound enabled, it crashes the machine,
	and the linux realplayer 8 has big problems.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com