Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!federation.addy.com!fbsdlist, ponds!netcom.com!sauber
Cc:        ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!questions, ponds!xmission.com!softweyr
Subject:   Re: clientside nfs caching

Soren wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:
> >
> > > Soren Dossing asked:
> > >
> > > Good God I hope not.  This is most certainly a recipe for disaster.
> > > You're far better off getting a faster server or a faster network.
> >
> > No, client-side caching is standard behavior for nfs.  I think you're
> > confused because it often called caching, when really it's just read/write
> > buffering.  Under FreeBSD it's handled by nfsiod and is usually
> > automatically launched.
>
> What I had in mind was actually something more like AFS (Andrew File
> System). I need access over internet to a fileserver with source codes.
> NFS might me OK... wil nfsiod cache/spool as much as, say 500MB at a time?
>
> Soren

 Well - I have to add to the "don't do it" sentiment.

 It has been my experience, for several years now, that AFS is generally
 not reliable - at least on HP/UX 9.05.  We are now to the point that
 we have daily problems with afs cache problems...

 We've decided to migrate over to NFS... even though it may be slower,
 we can get the job done; whereas AFS just isn't cutting it.

	- Dave Rivers -