Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:50:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem moving from -current to -2.2

On March 4 I expanded the CTM's for -2.2 in /usr/src on my early Feb -current system. Did "make world" and later rebooted. Forgot if I installed a new kernel before or after rebooting. Seems to work fine. Except:

PeeCee: {285} w
w: /dev// *ttyp1: No such file or directory
PeeCee: {286} which w
/usr/bin/w
PeeCee: {287} ls -l /usr/bin/w

"last" is equally mucked up. Saw some comments earlier that said wtmp's format changed. Rotated wtmp and for a while w and last worked right.

Obviously I'm missing something. Searched the mail archives before mailing. Probably searching on the wrong key, "wtmp". Also searched for "lkm".

Uh, should I have installed a new kernel before or after a "make world"? Should the system be single user or does it matter?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)