Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 1997 00:05:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGURG on ppp drop

> Can I assume safely that if I am fetch'ing a file across a PPP link, and
> that link goes down (thereby removing the route, and causing a "No
> route to host" error message when pinging) that the fetch process will
> receive a SIGURG?
>
> I'm curious, because I'm running some tests that require fetch to die if
> the link goes down, and I want to try to catch SIGURG, and then "cleanup
> and exit"(tm).

Maybe if your ppp deletes the route in ppp.linkdown (or if ppp isn't in
-auto or -ddial mode).  In -auto & -ddial mode, the route won't get
deleted and packets just get queued waiting for the line to come back
up.

I haven't tried the SIGURG bit myself though.... suck it & see.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;