Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:34:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Ulf Kister <Ulf.Kister@t-online.de>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Doug White wrote:
>
>>Congratulations! You've just discovered that FreeBSD is not like Linux.
>>You must upgrade your userland and kernel at the same time, or you will
>>run into things like this that are meant to catch miscreants.
>>
>>Hold out your hand.  *SLAP*
>>

> Uh, that might be true in current, but that better not be true about
> STABLE.  Unless there's a note in /usr/src/UPDATING that would apply, one
> should expect to be able to make a kernel independently from world, even
> after doing a make update and getting fresher sources.

Well, the update sample in /usr/src/UPDATING (~line 331) only mentions
the sequence buildworld, build[install]kernel, reboot to single user
mode, installworld and run mergemaster. When you reboot after that, you
have the latest cvsup update to -stable. The usual comment is that any
deviation from this sequence is not guaranteed to be fully functional.

> I had to do a time-critical install Wednesday night, so I installed from
> 4.4-RELEASE floppies, and in /usr/src did a make update && make
> buildkernel KERNCONF=taz3 && make installkernel KERNCONF=taz3.  Had I been
> forced to also build world it would have added a good two hours to the
> install process.  I made sure to read /usr/src/UPDATING thoroughly to look
> for any API changes that would have necessitated building world and didn't
> see any.

If you updated your sources to the 4.4-release, that is probably true.
After all, what you did is simply add the sources for your install to
your system. Updating to anything after that can cause modules to fail
if structures have changed anywhere. A typical first clue failure is top
ceases working with the nlist message.

> As it is, I'm worried about the other note I saw on this list about
> netinet changes that didn't appear to be documented un /usr/src/UPDATING.

I am not going to answer for Warner but after using FreeBSD for a couple
of years it is usually only gotcha's that make it into UPDATING.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA