Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 01:37:09 EDT
From:      NetWizKid@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        russ_husain@yahoo.com
Subject:   Does FreeBSD CDROM contain all the Apps and Ports ?

Hi,

I'm trying to switch over to FreeBSD from Linux, so far I've been impressed
with the performance reviews on FreeBSD.  The only thing odd to me is that the
CD ROM I got along with a unix administration book didn't contain applications
or ports, just the bare minimum kernel and some utilities.

When you install Red Hat off of the CD it installs hundered's of applications
including Netscape, Pine, Pico, SAMBA, mSQL, PERL, APACHE, firewalls etc.

We can make this wonderful operating system, FreeBSD,  give windows NT run for
its money, performance and make it a candidate for a corporate or business
level OS.  As much as I hate Microsoft I also believe that they got to the
point where they are not by magic but simply copying others and taking into
account what a typical end user would want from his PC and OS.  We can do that
too, right ?
A few suggestions :
The installation procedure could be made a little simpler, I still haven't
been able to configure my NIC.
Installation should install most of the commonly used application by default.
More books on FreeBSD + technical support + more marketing (these are
extremely important).
Multiprocessor support, support for GB's of RAM etc.
Support for windows, network printers, novell, etc to co-exist with other OSes
already in use by businesses.
Built in Fault tolerance like NT, Raid 1 and Raid 5.
A detailed HCL (hardware compatibility list).
This OS has a lot of potential, educate people about it by holding seminars
and offering classes, certifications, bundling with high end PCs,
partnershiping with hardware manufacturers and somehow providing support for
the new plug & play equipment may be by reusing NT drivers and converting them
on the fly for BSD kernel, like a transparent utility or something.  It'll
take time to get to that point but hey better late than never.

OK, now my question:
I was wondering if there is a CD I can buy which contains all of the apps and
ports available from your ftp site.  The other question was, in the ports
section it says that you can download all of the ports and the size is only
4MB, is it just the list of all the ports or it a reaaally compressed file
which contains all the sources for the listed ports ?

Keep up the good work, I apprecaite that you took the time to read.  I just
don't want UNIX to wipe out off of the industry it is losing its share in the
market to NT and only people like you can do something about it.  I can only
hope and offer my suggestions.

Take care,
Russell
russ_husain@yahoo.com