Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:09:13 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On Saturday 26 January 2002 17:34, Chris Fedde wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:00:24 +1030  Brian Astill wrote:
>  +------------------

>  | However, what I am saying is that the simple sentence "passwords
>  | can be changed by root without knowledge of a users existing
>  | password" was simply not there on any man page - heaps and heaps
>  | of well-written detail I did not need, was.
>
>  +------------------
>
> But the manual page says this in the the first paragraph...
>
>      Passwd changes the user's local, Kerberos, or NIS password.
>      If the user is not the super-user, passwd first prompts for
>      the current password and will not continue unless the correct
>      password is entered.
>
> The second sentence  seems to be just another way of saying exactly
> what you say was missing from the page.  Maybe I've been reading
> these things for too long, but it seems clear to me.  Negative logic
> can be confusing.

Actually, I think it is inferential logic - but it requires a
convoluted mind to see it!
The operative words are "if the user is not the super-user" passwd
first prompts ...   from which one can reasonably infer that if the
user IS the super-user passwd would NOT so prompt.
You are right, but which newbie (like me) would see it?

> And maybe this needs some cleaning up.

You ain't kidding!  :-)

> You might want to submit a patch to the FreeBSD Documentation project.

Want? - Yes.  Be capable of? - No.

--
Regards,
Brian