Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2014 14:50:23 -0500
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-geom@freebsd.org" <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HAST + GELI?

>> Either way works great. Both ways have their benefits, pains and
>> pitfalls.
>=20
> I guess HAST on top of GELI means both systems share the crypto load, wher=
eas GELI ontop of HAST means one box ends up doing the crypto work for both '=
sides' of the HAST devices... [if I've got that the right way round] - so HA=
ST on GELI is probably the better way to go.

They don't share the work because at that point there has become twice the w=
ork to be done.

>> It depends on your use case, configuration, hardware,
>> adversaries, etc. Like most security solutions, the devil, and
>> weaknesses, lay in the details, like network engineering and key
>> management. Care to elaborate for us?
>=20
> There's not a lot to elaborate - I want more redundancy for a home system w=
ith the added benefit if someone happens to steal either box - I don't want t=
hem getting 'easy access' to family photos, emails info etc.

GELI atop HAST is going to leave the slave with less work to do, avoid the r=
equirement for the key to be in the slave until failover time and give you l=
ess to worry about regarding securing the network between them. You just nee=
d to make sure you have that key ready when the slave is needed and that it'=
s a current key (if you ever rekey).

A side note, for your use you might consider ZFS snap/send/receive (or rsync=
 on UFS) in lieu of HAST. Mirrors really shouldn't be considered as backups b=
ecause a virus or human mistake would blow away both copies simultaneously.

One must be careful to not confuse availability with redundancy though they d=
o overlap a lot. HAST may give you the benefits you're looking for with less=
 ongoing procedure, as a true backup system/procedure generally takes more o=
ngoing involvement than mirroring something.

>> In other cases software based full disk encryption is really only going
>> to thwart or inconvenience the weakest of adversaries,
>=20
> Hehe - if that means the person who breaks in and steals it just scraps it=
 rather than gets to go through all the data - that's fine by me :) But poin=
t kinda taken :-)
>=20
> -Karl

Yeah the 80/20 rule is more like the 98/2 rule when it comes to the common t=
hief. :)=