Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:21:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE now available!

J Wunsch writes:

> As Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> >
> > 	i have not yet had a chance to play with a source-routing
> > traceroute or to sendmail to myself by way of two sites in, say,
> > australia.  i have heard horror stories about non-us
> > connectivity--several nets in one country reach each other by way of the
> > usa.  is this really teh case ??
>
> Unfortunately, yes. :-(
>
> At least here, several upcoming providers start with a leased line to
> US (or UK in one case) in order to provide their connectivity.
> National interconnections often follow years behind.  (One of these
> providers was able to establish these interconnections meanwhile, at
> least to other ones are still being routed via US.)

A bit of background: until about a year ago, the only commercial
Internet providers were EUNet and Xlink, both *very* expensive (would
you believe I used to pag $0.30 per kilobyte for mail?).  Now there
are some others, noticably MAZ, which are a lot cheaper, though still
expensive by US standards (I now pay $13 per megabyte for IP traffic).
EUNet and co didn't like these price-breakers, and until recently
refused to give them a connection, which is why MAZ went via Pipex and
Alternet.  Things are happening--I can now connect to EUNet without
leaving Germany, but as you can see, DFN is another matter.

Greg